Channel "5" during Boston's great OTA TV outage of 2012

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Tue Apr 10 16:26:30 EDT 2012

On 4/10/2012 4:22 PM, A. Joseph Ross wrote:
> On 4/10/2012 11:01 AM, Scott Fybush wrote:
>
>> WCVB has an auxiliary antenna side-mounted on the Needham tower, and
>> it's operating from there at low power.
>
> I thought WBZ-TV had a smaller tower next to the big one, which would
> allow them to transmit, albeit with low range, if anything happened to
> the big tower. When I read about it, I surmised that it was a response
> to the problems they had after the fall of the large Soldiers Field Road
> tower in 1953.

That smaller tower was an auxiliary analog channel 4 facility. It was
never retrofitted for DTV use.

It will be interesting to see how quickly CBS moves now to establish
some sort of auxiliary DTV transmitting capability for WBZ and WSBK.
Educated speculation is that they might look to put it over at the
candelabra, where they're still renting the old WSBK analog transmitter
room.