Channel "5" during Boston's great OTA TV outage of 2012

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Tue Apr 10 16:11:31 EDT 2012

On 4/10/2012 7:33 AM, Dan.Strassberg wrote:

> I do not have cable or satellite TV; 100% of my TV reception, on two
> receivers here in Arlington Heights near the Lexington line ~0.5 miles
> north of Route 2, is from over-the-air signals. I've heard several
> people (some on this list, I think) insist that the OTA signal from
> Channel "5" (WCVB) has gone dark in the multi-station outage that is
> currently affecting several of the OTA signals that emnanate from what
> has historically been called the Channel 4 tower in Needham. (Since
> the other three FM/TV sites in the Newton-Needham area are in Newton,
> it would seem OK to refer to the affected tower as the Needham tower;
> FM 128, the Channel "7"/"56" self-supporter, and the Candelabra are
> all in Newton.) I can't say that a Channel "5" OTA signal has NEVER
> gone dark in this outage, but every time I have checked it out since I
> started monitoring which of the Needham stations were dark and which
> weren't (early Monday AM, IIRC), "5" has always been there and the
> reception has been at least as good as normal.
>
> So does this mean that "5" (and maybe also "2") have an auxiliary site
> either on FM 128 or the Candelabra? As far as I can tell, the only
> OTA signals that are affected are "4," "38," and "44" (including all
> of ""44's" sub-channels). Can somebody explain why some of the Needham
> signals appear unaffected?

If 38 is now on the channel 4 tower and 56 is on the channel 7 tower,
who's on the candelabra now?

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.             617.367.0468
92 State Street, Suite 700       Fax: 617.507.7856