WEEI-FM 93.7

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Mon Sep 12 10:28:34 EDT 2011

On 9/12/2011 9:56 AM, Dan.Strassberg wrote:

> The brokered Portuguese programming could continue during daylight
> hours when WRKO doesn't need any help in MetroWest. The 650 night
> signal would more than equal the 850 nighttime signal in a significant
> part of MetroWest.

I don't think "THE Talk Station, AM 680...except at night in Framingham
and parts of Natick, where you might be able to hear us on 650 if the
Opry music out of Nashville's not too loud" accomplishes much of
anything toward retaining the image of WRKO as a major full-market
player. (And can you imagine Howie making fun of it on the air?)

I stand by my assessment of the competitive virtues of 850 vs. 680 for
full-market coverage. I don't disagree with Dan and Bob that 680 is
stronger than 850 to the north and south - but that's a difference of
degree; both 850 and 680 are at least usable to the edges of the Boston
Arbitron market in those directions. But to the west, it's not just a
difference of degree, it's a question of whether the signal exists at all.

There's a LOT of MetroWest out there, and right now it disappears
completely from WRKO's potential audience at 4:30 or so in the afternoon
come December. A 60-watt 650 night signal, if one were to be built,
might fill a small piece of that hole in Framingham or Natick, but
wouldn't do enough to be useful anywhere else in MetroWest, even if you
could overcome the logistical issues of getting listeners to set buttons
for both 650 and 680 and to know to switch them at the right time (but
no earlier, lest they be blasted with Portuguese-language religion!)