Sports radio in the 1930s

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sun Oct 30 18:15:14 EDT 2011

On 10/30/2011 6:12 PM, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> <<On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 17:33:41 -0400, Scott Fybush<scott@fybush.com>  said:
>
>> It was also, as best I've been able to discern, the very first licensed
>> vertical radiator used for AM in the US.
>
> I was just reading an ad for Lehigh claiming to have built the first
> shunt-fed vertical radiator (or perhaps the first shunt-fed two-tower
> DA), for WHP.  (As we know, there's only one of these left in the
> country, if not the world, at KOAC.)

This raises some interesting questions, since WHP didn't move to its
present 580 facility until after WWII; before that, it was on 1430/1460.

I suspect the answer to the question may come in the form of a book:
longtime WHP CE Tim Portzline just wrote a "Harrisburg Radio" volume for
Arcadia, and I've been meaning to get my hands on a copy anyway.