WQPH Correction I Sent And Reply From Lowell Sun

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Tue Oct 25 08:44:28 EDT 2011

Every field has its own lexicon; the polyglot of "members-only"
languages seems to fulfill a human need to be members of a group from
which non-members are excluded. If this need were not so pronounced, I
doubt that the world would still have hundreds, if not thousands, of
written and spoken languages. Very likely, there are tens of thousands
of vocation-specific languages, most of which exist in
nationality-specific variants. But I have to believe that this
nonsense would disappear were it not so deeply embedded in our DNA. I
can't see a rational reason for its continued existence. If it ever
did disappear, the world would be a dramatically different--and
presumably, more peaceful--place! OTOH, there is strong evidence that
people who share languages will simply find other stuff to fight
about. Of the other things, I guess religion tops the list in most
places. In the US, though, politics might be at the top of the list
with religion in second place.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367