WQPH Correction I Sent And Reply From Lowell Sun

Ted Larsen tlmedia@triad.rr.com
Tue Oct 25 05:01:54 EDT 2011

I sent this to Kris Pisarik one of the Managing Editors at the Sun. His reply is at the top.I agree with Scott and the others who say reporters are being yanked in all directions and can't be expected to know technical details on thousands of subjects.

Let's face it gang, we do talk a language all our own.

TL

----- Original Message -----
From: Kristopher Pisarik
To: Ted Larsen
Sent: Monday, October 24, 2011 7:00 PM
Subject: Re: WQPH 89.3 FM, Fitchburg
So it should say the 580-watt  station?

On 10/24/11 6:56 PM, "Ted Larsen" <tlmedia@triad.rr.com> wrote:
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ted Larsen <mailto:tlmedia@triad.rr.com>
  To: kpisarik@lowellsun.com ; tzuppa@lowellsun.com
  Sent: Monday, October 24, 2011 5:54 PM
  Subject: WQPH 89.3 FM, Fitchburg

  Gentlemen: I suggest you print a correction regarding Patricia O'Connell's story on radio station WQPH. The Federal Communications Commission does not allow for a station of this power, 500,000,000 watts.

  http://www.lowellsun.com/local/ci_19181249 <http://www.lowellsun.com/local/ci_19181249>

  "The 500-megawatt station will transmit Catholic music, prayers and talk shows to listeners in Fitchburg, Leominster, Lancaster, Shirley, Clinton and parts of Townsend, she said."

  The FCC allows for a maximum power of 50,000 watts for AM stations and 100,000 for AM stations

  Here is some useful engineering data

  WQPH Effective Radiated Power: 0.58 kW  = 580 Watts

  http://www.fccinfo.com/CMDProEngine.php?sCurrentService=FM&tabSearchType=Appl&sAppIDNumber=1444101 <http://www.fccinfo.com/CMDProEngine.php?sCurrentService=FM&tabSearchType=Appl&sAppIDNumber=1444101>

  Official FCC filing data

  http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/eng_fm.pl?Application_id=1444101

  Thanks for your time and attention
  Ted Larsen
  Ex-WBZ Radio News
  Former Owner, WNCG Newburyport, MA

  Gentlemen: I suggest you print a correction regarding Patricia O'Connell's story on radio station WQPH. The Federal Communications Commission does not allow for a station of this power, 500,000 watts.