Most powerful radio station in the world coming toFitchburg???????

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Tue Oct 25 07:55:26 EDT 2011

But having a station in Santa Barbara at or near the top of the list
occurs because the criteria you are using do not include coverage
"lost" over open water. All other such criteria that I am aware of for
broadcast stations take this lost coverage into account--that is, the
area of open water within the specified contour (60 dBu in this case)
is subtacted from the total area enclosed within the specified
contour. Not subtracting the open-water coverage gives the edge to
stations along the west coast. Subtracting open water would, I
believe, give the edge to WHOM, which loses no coverage--or
essentiallty no coverage--over open water. Remember, we're talking
about coverage area--not population--so sparsely populated or totally
unpopulated land area is NOT subtracted from coverage area.

On AM, I believe that, thanks to high power, an (electrically) better
than half-wave antenna, good soil conductivity, and a low dial
position, KFI would win were it not for subtraction of open-water
coverage. But on AM, AFAIK, open water has always been subtracted,
hence the wins go to KFYR and WNAX even though neither runs 50 kW.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367