WEEI Legal ID

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Sat Oct 1 01:59:24 EDT 2011

<<On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 00:43:11 -0400, A Joseph Ross <joe@attorneyross.com> said:

> Last night, during WEEI's post-mortem about the Red Sox collapse, the
> legal ID didn't happen until 7:08 PM.  Is that legal now?

Depends on your interpretation of "a natural break" in programming.
My view would be that it probably isn't, but the FCC doesn't have the
enforcement capability to do anything about it.  WEEI's local
programming often IDs very late.  (In the early days, stations had to
identify every 15 minutes, and this was strictly enforced.)

> Also, the ID was "WEEI Boston, WEEI-FM and HD1, Lawrence-Boston."  Is it
> legal to say WEEI-FM and HD1 instead of WEEI-FM and WEEI-FM-HD1?

Very difficult to say given the current wording of 73.1201, so the
Commission would likely let it slide.

-GAWollman