Spammer on the list?

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Tue May 31 13:54:12 EDT 2011

Garrett wrote--
> That's one of the things that spammers do.  Sorry that the message got
> delivered to the whole list; unfortunately, there's not a whole lot
> that I can do to fix it without moderating all traffic to the list,
> which I'm really reluctant to do.

These types of spam are usually not even sent by the person whose name
is on them, as has been noted.  The person's name may have been in the
address book of the guy or gal whose e-mail WAS hijacked.  Spam links
usually have tag lines and jumps that say "for all my friends" or "you
won't believe this" or "check this out", but with no explanation.  That
is why Garrett's advice correct:  he has always asked that list-members
never just send a link without first explaining what the reason for the
link is, and telling how that link relates to the post we just sent to
the list.