Fw: FCC Seizes Radio Equipment

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Fri May 27 16:09:02 EDT 2011

That's true, but... The local oscillator (LO) of a superheterodyne FM
receiver oscillates at the frequency to which the receiver is tuned
plus the receiver's IF frequency (by law, 10.7 MHz). For example, one
of the reasons why WCRB can't move very close to downtown Boston is
that WERS on 88.9 transmits from One Financial Center downtown. 88.9 +
10.7 = 99.6, which is only 100 kHz from 99.5. Without a filter ahead
of the receiver's demodulator, a signal at 99.6 + 10.7 = 110.3 MHz
could be received by a receiver tuned to 88.9, but radiation from the
LO itself is centered at 99.6 MHz and if the LO signal radiates, it
can interfere with WCRB's signal at 99.5. Radiation from the LO of FM
receivers tuned to stations in the upper half (approximately) of the
FM band has the potential of interfering with aircraft communications.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367