WCAP-980 technical problem?

Mark Connelly markwa1ion@aol.com
Thu May 26 00:29:49 EDT 2011

Quite often I tune in Dick Summer's "Goodnight" program broadcast at
midnight on WCAP-980 Lowell, MA.

Ordinarily I have no problem hearing it, though some nights the
co-channel Fox Sports station, WOFX, Troy, NY, is evident under.

I am on the southern end of Billerica (Pinehurst) near the Burlington
line and the Routes 3A / 62 junction.  This is about 12 miles
south-southeast of WCAP's transmitter site.

Tonight (end of Wednesday going into Thursday 5/26), the WCAP signal
was nearly inaudible and the Troy, NY station was on top most of the
time.  The audio that I could pick through from Dick Summer's show
sounded muffled, lacking treble.

Does anyone know if there is an equipment malfunction or facilities
change at WCAP?  Besides Dick's show, I sometimes listen to WCAP's
oldies.  A station only 12 miles away should have a much better signal.
 It usually does.

Mark Connelly