rjoc04679

Peter Murray peterwmurray@gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 13:15:54 EDT 2011

A few fundamentals of email/web/system security:

- Be wary of any email containing an unsolicited attachment from
anyone. Be wary of any unsolicited email. Use a mail provider that has
good anti-spam systems (AppRiver's SecureTide is excellent and not
tremendously expensive for organizations, GMail is very good for
individuals)
- Defend your system appropriately (Firefox with Adblock Plus, Chrome
with AdBlock extension. Stop using Internet Explorer.) NoScript is
better, but can be cumbersome. Install a modern, current antivirus.
Non-Windows systems are not invulnerable, but most attacks are against
the lower-hanging fruit - Win32 systems (XP, Vista, 7, Server 2003).
- Always look at the links you're considering clicking on - verify
that they *really* go to the site that is purported to be the
destination.
- Keep your system up-to-date, whether OS patches, Flash/Adobe
Reader/etc updates. Consider a simpler PDF Reader (like SumatraPDF).
- Passwords are only good when you can remember them. I like
fingerprint scanners as well, though there are problems there.

OBRadio - I'm looking forward to trying out the portable/car-mountable
JVC HD KT-HDP1 in my Subaru (which has no aux-in without major
hacking). DC has some interestng HD channels...

-Peter