WHDN (was Re: Food Chains

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Fri Mar 18 15:16:30 EDT 2011

Kevin Vahey wrote:
> 5 Guys went into Chicago and is doing very well.
>
> In the south Ryan's Steak House is very popular.
>
> I recall a Big Boy near Worcester on Rte 9 but that is long gone.

I think a lot of the regional Big Boy franchisees faded away sometime in
the 80s. Some (like Elias Brothers in Michigan) kept going without the
Big Boy branding; others, like TJ's here in upstate New York and Azar's
in Indiana, just closed completely. There's an IHOP now where the TJ's
Big Boy here used to be.

Frisch's in Ohio would appear to be the last big Big Boy franchisee
still going strong, along with the original Bob's Big Boy out west and
in metro New York.