WLNE airing infomercials in place of 7p news

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Thu Mar 17 20:43:56 EDT 2011

<<On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 18:58:24 -0400, Scott Fybush <scott@fybush.com> said:

> I don't think it's for Hearst's benefit; if Hearst wanted WLNE, it's had
> many opportunities to do so at reasonable prices, and there's an issue
> with the very significant overlap of signals between WLNE and WCVB.
> Recall that CBS had to unload WPRI for that same reason.

I think, however, that if Hearst wanted WLNE now, they could easily
get a "failing station" waiver, particularly if they made some
handwavy argument about how Providence is a separate market and nobody
in the Boston market watches WLNE (or can even get it outside of parts
of Norfolk County).

-GAWollman