leasing a station to the Chinese Government

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Tue Jun 28 16:30:13 EDT 2011

"I am still mystified by how Radio One is getting away with doing this-- I mean, I understand it's capitalism and owners can do what they want, but somehow leasing a Boston station (WILD) to the Chinese government seems wrong somehow.  I guess the FCC no longer enforces "public interest" rules anymore..."

No attributable interest in the station's ownership is permitted to a foreign entity.  As long as Radio one adhered to that rule, there's nothing the FCC can do.  As has already been pointed out, with very few exceptions the FCC does not involve itself in programming decisions, based on the First Amendment and the anti-censorship law (Section 326 of the Communications Act).

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
20 Guest St / 3d Floor
Brighton MA  02135-2040