Shortwave stations

Bill Smith brscomm@yahoo.com
Tue Jun 28 14:39:46 EDT 2011

Nothing mysterious about them. Those towers belonged to a ham that lived on the
side street off route 2. He ran an electronics company aroos the street from his
house. I'm surprised the towers have lasted as long as they have. The footings
were made of concrete blocks and the guy wires were secured to the trees. He had
a large number of dipoles on different bands and orientations strung up and
ladder line running out of the woods to his garage.

I grew up a mile away and visited them several times in my younger days.  As fa
as I know, they are abandoned.

Bill

________________________________
From: Dan.Strassberg <dan.strassberg@att.net>
To: Jim Hall <aerie.ma@comcast.net>; boston-radio-interest@lists.BostonRadio.org
Sent: Mon, June 27, 2011 10:55:34 AM
Subject: Re: Shortwave stations

There was an area south of Route 2, west of Concord Prison, and east
of 495 that, maybe 10 years ago, contained a large number (never tried
to count but my guess is more than 15) guy supported towers that, I
imagine were in the neighborhood of 200' high. I don't think they were
illuminated, so that probably means they were a bit less than 200'.
There did not seem to be any discernible pattern to the layout of the
towers and I can't remember whether there were cables that ran from
the tops of some towers to the tops of others. ISTR that there were
cables and there may have been wires dropped from the cables--forming
"curtains" of a sort. I do not recall receiving interference to radio
reception (most likely, I was tuned to AM) as I drove past. I always
wondered what these towers were. Given that MIT Lincoln Lab is in
Lexington, not far from Hanscom Field and not all that far from the
site of these towers, I wonder whether the towers were related to
Lincoln Lab or the (just now closed down) military research facility
at Hanscom. I once had a vague idea of the sort of work that research
facility performed, but I can no longer recall.