Improper use of our National Anthem?

Bill O'Neill (billo@shoreham.net) billo@shoreham.net
Sun Jun 26 08:47:55 EDT 2011

On 6/25/2011 8:22 PM, Donna Halper wrote:
> On 6/25/2011 6:11 PM, Bill O'Neill (billo@shoreham.net) wrote:
>> Former drinking song? Perhaps a wee bit of a stretch, Garrett.
>
> No, Garrett is 100% correct.  The melody was chosen because it was a
> well-known song used in the finest taverns in England (and thus in the
> US, since we had been a former British colony).

My post was unclear. I figured it accurately ID'd as a former drinking
song. That fits even better with "Play ball!" that generally follows.
What I am curious about is if it's in good taste to use the song as a
music bed.  Now, if the country switches to a new anthem with, say, the
"I Dream of Jeannie" theme to new lyrics, that's another ballgame.

Bill O'Neill