Improper use of our National Anthem?

Laurence Glavin lglavin@mail.com
Sat Jun 25 16:33:39 EDT 2011

 In any performance of the Puccini opera "Madama Butterfly", set in Japan, when the
 American character Pinkerton (no known relationship to the security firm) enters the scene,
 the orchestra plays "The Star Spangled Banner". At the time of composition, TSSB was not
 yet the USA's National Anthem. Nobody actually sings it, although most opera singers could
 (ahem); it's just played by the orchestra.