A little entertainment for second intermission...

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Sat Jun 18 10:24:25 EDT 2011

Dan Strassberg wrote:

> Hi, Scott: I've got to confess that I don't listen to WCAP all that
> much, and I don't think I ever heard you live on the air at WCAP, but
> I also have to say that I don't recall hearing WCAP sounding as good
> as it does on the tape of your first day there! Not only did you sound
> great but the production was superb. Did you have anything to do with
> that?

  Scott, thanks for sharing the clip of your first WCAP newscast, sounded
great. And thanks also for the bonus treat, the unscoped Heritage Farms spot
in the newscast, which was a WLLH production voiced by longtime 'LLH
personality/sales rep Frank Sunday (Frank Messina). Heritage Farms was one
of several Lowell area businesses that would buy ads on both 'CAP & 'LLH
back in the day. There were also Lawrence area businesses that would spring
for ads on both 'LLH & WCCM. One Lowell based business, the Lowell Gas Co.
(which was bought out by Colonial Gas, in turn bought out by Keyspan, in
turn bought by National Grid) used to sell gas appliances at a retail store
in Lowell and also have an annual warehouse sale. They would have both 'CAP
& 'LLH for live remotes a few times a year from the store or warehouse on
big sale days, with 980 and the famous Mobile Studio usually getting the
9:00AM to 12 Noon or 10:00 to 1:00 slot and 1400 with it's Sparta console in
the window or just inside the warehouse door from 1:00 to 4:00 PM.

BTW the above mentioned Heritage Farms still advertises on WCAP to this day.

Mark Watson