How much longer will WBZ stay at 1170 SFR?

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Mon Jun 13 22:27:11 EDT 2011

American Tower owns the 1150/1470 site. AFAIK, Salem owns the 950
site. Don't know who owns the 590 site, but I'm pretty sure it isn't
Salem. Don't know who owns the 890/1060 site. 1090 is already diplexed
(with 1430). Clear Channel may own the site, but I don't know that
they do. Anyhow, as you point out, 1030 and 1090 are extremely close
in frequency for diplexing, although diplexing has been done with
stations separated in frequency by less than 5% of the higher
frequency. The closest pair I know of are in Santa Barbara on 1290 and
1340, but these are both low-power stations and it's a single tower
site. Also, little else is right for WBZ about the 1430/1090 site.
Triplex with 1430 and 1090--not good. Towers very short. Unlikely that
the towers could handle any reasonable additional power for a WBZ aux.
A diplex of 1030 and 1060 is absolutely out of the question! 950 and
1030 are also kind of close in frequency. 950 has a dynamite signal
for 5 kW, but if WBZ's own site couldn't be used per Scott's
suggestion, why would you use the 950 site, especially in view of the
flooding problem? There are still the 850 and 680 sites, either of
which would be good, with 850 looking like the better choice for an ND
diplex with WBZ.

Oh, the downside of using the WBZ Hull site as an aux as well as a
main is the flooding problem there. Not as bad as the flooding problem
is Saugus, but bad enough to raise questions. I don't know of a
flooding problem at the 850 or 680 sites.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367