Radio never warned me (regarding Spfld tornado)

Doug Drown revdoug1@myfairpoint.net
Fri Jun 10 11:21:09 EDT 2011

Maine has two (count 'em --- two) commercial radio stations that I know of
that do any significant news coverage at all.  One is Saga's WGAN in
Portland (ABC); the other is Stephen King's WZON in Bangor (CNN).  I guess I
could also add WZAN, Saga's other news-and-talk AM in Portland (CBS), but it
basically just replicates WGAN's newscasts.   All three stations do network
news on the hour, followed by live local newscasts.

The two Blueberry talkers, WVOM (Bangor) and WVQM (Augusta), do local news
in the morning, but it's read by one of the two morning hosts.   The rest of
the day it's Fox News on the hour --- one minute of it followed by four
minutes of commercials.  T'ain't like the old days when WVOM was locally
owned and won awards for its magnificent, day-in, day-out 24/7 coverage of
the 1998 ice storm.

I can't speak for Aroostook County radio; I know little of what goes on up
there in the field of broadcasting.

-Doug