Radio never warned me (regarding Spfld tornado)

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Thu Jun 9 19:58:22 EDT 2011

And the general manager of the Clear Channel cluster in Springfield
(including WHYN) had a letter in the Globe today.  He denied the
assertion that his stations didn't cover the tornado, and asserted that
his stations are mostly live and local.  I'm contacting a couple of
journalist friends of mine out there to see what their take on it is,
but I am well aware of Clear Channel's bad reputation for cutting staff,
using voice-tracking, etc.  In this case, however, I absolutely have
heard live programming on their stations, so I'm not sure what the facts
are.  Obviously, there is a perception that CC stations don't provide
good coverage, but I'm still uncertain as to what they did or did not do
in this case.