Phase out over-the-air signals? (was: Re: WCRB to simulcast on 88.7in R.I.)

Jibguy@aol.com Jibguy@aol.com
Sat Jun 4 02:01:04 EDT 2011

In a message dated 6/4/2011 12:14:00 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
joe@attorneyross.com writes:

This may  be so right now, but when nobody is listening to AM radio, Bob
will have  to change or get out of the business, and selling the station
may not be  much of an option if nobody is listening.

Or perhaps by the time Bob's  older audience stops listening, Bob will be
ready to retire  anyway.

---------------------------
Audience stops listening?  Probably a nice way of saying "dieing  off".
That was said of the Music of Your Life format back in the  mid-late 1980's;
but now in 2011, it's still going strong, listenerwise, as  before. Likely
due to adjustments such as occasional songs thrown in by The Four  Seasons,
Gary Lewis & Playboys, Shirelles, Crystals, Vogues, Beatles,  Turtles, Gore,
Elvis, Darin, etc., but not Sam the Sham & Pharoughs, nor  Iron Butterfly.
And those 40's and 50-somethings.... they love to hear the  standards
classics from Helen Forrest, Goodman, Shaw, Miller, Andrews Sisters,  Eddie Fisher.
 Check out "Friends & Lovers of WJIB" (not started by me)  on Facebook, and
see what the people in their 20's thru 60's are  saying.   - As for AM
radio? Don't know the future, but I do know that  a station will be listened-to
if it's doing something different, and people like  the idea of being
serenaded by someone else, where the only efforts needed is to  flip the "on
switch" on a radio.  - I also think that additional future  fees will stifle
4G-smartphones' predicted viral spread.
On internet streaming.... it amazes me how the labels have successfully
gotten the Copyright Royalty Board to get non-station streamers to actually
PAY  for the privilege of running 24-hour commercials for the labels!
----BB