Phase out over-the-air signals? (was: Re: WCRB to simulcaston88.7in R.I.)

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sat Jun 4 00:29:00 EDT 2011

Kevin Vahey wrote:

> In the rent a car here in Vancouver the few AM's here are fine -
> Seattle comes in clear but otherwise the band is very quiet.

Vancouver is one of the few Canadian markets that still has most of its
AMs, actually.

In the decade or so since I was last there, I think only one AM signal
has gone dark, and it's been replaced by a new one:

600 CJOR/CKBD - gone, moved to 100.5 FM
690 CBU - still there, the largest CBC AM market, augmented by a fill-in
FM signal on 88.1
730 CHMJ - ex CKLG ("LG73"), all-traffic
980 CKNW - still the big news-talker
1040 CKST - sports "Team"
1130 CKWX - all-news "News 1130"
1200 CJRJ - new ethnic signal since I was last in town
1320 CHMB - Chinese
1410 CFTE - sports "Team 2" (ex-CFUN, talk)
1470 CJVB - Chinese

All the AMs that had been in outlying parts of the Lower Mainland have
gone to FM, and Victoria is down to just two AMs (CKMO 900 and CFAX
1070), with one of those leaving AM soon, too.