WCRB to simulcast on 88.7 in R.I.

Mark Laurence marklaurence@mac.com
Fri Jun 3 16:36:17 EDT 2011

On Jun 03, 2011, at 03:28 PM, Bob DeMattia <bob.bosra@demattia.net> wrote:

> Mark,
> I believe the PPM can tell what they are using to listen to the
> station (FM, online streams, etc). Are your statistics specifically
> for listening through traditional broadcast technology, or are
> they the sum total of listeners to a particular source?

You're right, the PPM ratings break out streaming separately from
FM broadcast listening.  Once in a while a streaming station will
break through the minimum threshold to get listed.  In April as in
most months, there wasn't any streaming station that made the
full monthly book.  It's pretty rare when it happens.  Personally I
think that's because there's such a wide variety of streaming
stations available, not enough people in the market are focused
on any single station to move the needle on PPM listening.

Here are some examples:

In June of 2010, KOOL-FM's HD-2 stream registered 100 people in the
Boston 25-54 AQH.  That station has never shown up again as far as
I can see.

WBZ-FM's stream has registered listeners for the past 7 weeks
(Bruins fever, perhaps?), usually 200-600 listeners but one week they
picked up 1,200.

Other stations that have picked up a few weeks of reports for
streaming in Boston are: WMJX, WROR, WOGL, WODS, WKLB,
WZLX, WYUU, WEEI-AM, WAAF, WGBH-HD2, and WBMX.  But
these are usually reports of 100 listeners for just a week or two,
out of a total AQH audience of almost 200,000.

Mark