WCRB to simulcast on 88.7 in R.I.

Aaron Read friedbagels@gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 12:38:38 EDT 2011

WCRB will be rebroadcast on WJMF HD-2.   There is no way Bryant's
students (nor their alums) would allow the current student format to
be displaced from the main 88.7 signal; there's a pretty serious
communications curriculum at Bryant.  And especially not now, on the
cusp of WJMF finally having a real Providence signal.   Remember a few
years back, when Rhode Island Public Radio quietly talked to Bryant
about getting morning/afternoon drive on WJMF and the howls of protest
from the student body?

Anyways, this press release says it'll be on WJMF-HD2.
http://blogs.bryant.edu/newsroom/?p=860

It also, interestingly, says no capital investment is being made by
WGBH...so it's *not* like WGBH is putting the new CP on the air for
Bryant in exchange for the HD2.  Well, regardless, this is certainly
another reason to go out and get an HD Radio receiver if you're a
classical fan.  That new WJMF signal is pretty honkin' big so it ought
to work well for classical fans in northern Rhode Island.

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WJMF&service=FM&status=C&hours=U

WCRI is, AFAIK, still a classical station but it's owned by the Judson
Group, isn't it?  I think the programming, while classical, is
completely independent from WCRB/WGBH.

WNCK on Nantucket, however, is rebroadcasting WCRB last I checked.
But I don't think WNCK has those translators on the upper Cape that it
used to have; didn't those go to some religious outlet?