WCOP

Howard Glazer hmglaz@att.net
Mon Jul 25 12:01:15 EDT 2011

Jim Hall wrote:

>I once won a prize from WORL. They used to do trivia questions on the >afternoon show in the 1960s. The question was "who is the premier of >China?" Apparently there were so few people listening that I called in at >least half an hour later and won! A Kodak camera! I will give them >credit: they sent the camera to me in 3 days.

So what was the answer? Liu Shao-chi? I'm pretty sure Mao Tse-tung's title wasn't premier (prime minister); he was the chairman of the Communist Party -- for all we know, those 30 minutes before you called in might have been filled with callers wrongly guessing Mao.

My prize haul from radio in the '60s and '70s included several gallons of ice cream, the "30 Now Goldens" album and Elton John's self-titled album (the one with "Your Song") from WRKO, a 20-pound Thanksgiving turkey from WGTR, and tickets to "Live at Passim" and my choice of three albums from a big box of discards from WCAS. That's in chronological order; you can trace my musical evolution in this paragraph!

Howard