WBZ-WBZA

Mark Casey map@mapinternet.com
Mon Jul 25 09:09:42 EDT 2011

Anyone know what year WBZ and WBZA swapped calls between Springfield and
Boston?
Mark Casey

Even though WBZA was synchroed with WBZ and was therefore a 100%
simulcast of WBZ, it DID retain separate studios in Springfield and, I
believe, DID originate some programming (maybe 30 minutes per week)
from them. That programming was (obviously) carried on both WBZ and
WBZA. WBZA's Springfield studios were in, I believe, the Hotel Kimball
in Springfield.

I believe that the building that housed the Hotel Kimball still
exists, although it is no longer a hotel. I believe it has been
converted into condos that are occupied by senior citizens. IIRC, a
year or two ago, the developers devoted some effort and $$$ to attract
people from Boston to buy condos in the building on the basis that the
cost of equivalent condos in Boston was many times as great. One of
the pitches was that they had managed to secure the parking lot to the
extent that car thefts and break-ins had become relatively rare
occurrences(!)

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)