Small Cities With Class A Signal

Kevin Vahey kvahey@gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 09:26:35 EDT 2011

Boston should have been entitled to a second Class A but I suspect Westinghouse had enough clout to prevent that.

Buffalo at the time was considered a major city yet did not land one but smaller Rochester did. WKBW was upgraded later but either WGR or WBEN deserved better.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Jim Hall" <aerie.ma@comcast.net>
Sender: boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.orgDate: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 08:36:33
To: 'Boston Radio Interest'<boston-radio-interest@rolinin.bostonradio.org>
Subject: Small Cities With Class A Signal

A friend and I were talking the other day about how the "clear channels"
were distributed around the country in the 1920s. Some very small cities
ended up with Class A stations. For example, Schenectady NY has a population
of 66 k (metro population < 1000 k) and has WGY; Waterloo, IA has a
population of 68 k (metro population < 200 k) and they have KXEL (Class A,
but directional at night). Schenectady obviously owes its good fortune to
the fact that General Electric was located there, but how did small cities
such as Waterloo IA, Hartford, Des Moines IA, Shreveport LA, Wheeling WV,
etc. end up with the Class A's? Was it just because they were first? Or was
there a plan to distribute the frequencies so as to cover the country?