WCOP

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sun Jul 24 12:55:33 EDT 2011

Garrett Wollman wrote:

> The expanded-band allocations were made on the basis of identifying
> the stations which, if they moved, would provide the greatest
> reduction in interference to other stations.

Which, incidentally, goes a long way toward explaining why the northeast
in general and New England in particular drew so little in the way of
X-band allocations. Being on the edge of the country, few New England
stations on regional channels are major contributors to interference to
stations elsewhere. I'm surprised 930 in Rochester qualified; it's
easier to see how 980 in Troy did, given the interference it generates
to stations such as WCAP and WTEM (WRC).

> Most of the X-banders that have been successful were built under the
> "WJDM rule" -- a loophole put in by Congress giving an X-band
> allocation to any daytimer which is the only AM facility licensed to a
> city of 100,000 or more people.  WWRU was one of these.

I believe that loophole actually specified "only broadcast facility,"
which might explain why WJIB couldn't use it - WMBR and WHRB, as well as
WLVI, also being licensed to Cambridge. (I believe, also, that the
loophole has since been closed; I had an idea a few years back about how
it might have been exploited in another location and found it wasn't
workable.)