Re 1600-1700 Kh

Thomas Heathwood HeritageRadio@msn.com
Sun Jul 24 00:59:22 EDT 2011

Dan is no doubt right that  1600-1700 kh (then called kc) was not on many AM
receivers prior to 1946, but it was on some.  I have a PHILCO Model 1938-4 which definitely has a freq, range well beyond 1600 kh.  As as child I used to listen to the police calls from New York City and later in Massachusetts in these parameters.
Tom Heathwood
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Dan.Strassberg<mailto:dan.strassberg@att.net>
  To: Doug Drown<mailto:vzeej5wn@myfairpoint.net> ; Donna Halper<mailto:dlh@donnahalper.com> ; boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org<mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org> ; Kevin Vahey<mailto:kvahey@gmail.com>
  Cc: Boston Radio Interest<mailto:boston-radio-interest@rolinin.bostonradio.org> ; Thomas Heathwood<mailto:HeritageRadio@msn.com>
  Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2011 4:07 PM
  Subject: Re: WCOP

  1610 to 1700 is the ill-fated so-called eX-band (for eXpanded band).
  AFAIK, the closest eX-bander to new England is WWRU (not to be
  confused with WWRV or WWRL). WWRU was, for a while, licensed to
  Elizabeth NJ, but is now, I think, licensed to Jersey City. It is one
  of the few eX-banders that is directional at night and that runs more
  than 1 kW at night. It runs 10 kW-U DA-2 from towers on the site of
  (but not used by) co-owned WKDM 1380. There was only one
  eX-bander allocated to New England--1700 in Rochester NH.
  It was never built. Outside of the unbuilt Rochester NH station,
  I believe the closest eX-band allocation to New England was in
  Troy NY. (I don't know the frequency.) It also was never built.

  -----
  Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net<mailto:dan.strassberg@att.net>)
  eFax 1-707-215-6367