WHIL

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sat Jul 23 00:02:02 EDT 2011

On 7/22/2011 9:45 PM, Dan.Strassberg wrote:
> WNAC in Squantum was, in fact, WNAC/WAAB in Squantum, right?

Yes, and in fact, there are still little pieces of the guy-wires and
anchors (or whatever they are called) embedded in people's yards and
some have bubbled up from the ground to be visible in several driveways,
much as people in that part of Squantum have tried to dig them all up.
There's also an abandoned shack that evidently was part of the
transmitter.  I visited the neighborhood back in 2000.

And while I am thinking of it, thanks to Chris Hall for naming the other
stations Sherwood Tarlow owned-- I had forgotten his involvement with
WARE...

> Dan wrote--
>
> When WORL or WBSO transmitted from the Wellesley/Needham area, was the
> station really licensed to Boston?

I haven't seen their license, but in all of the newspapers and
Broadcasting Yearbooks as well as in Billboard magazine, they are listed
as "WORL Boston."  WBSO, on the other hand, was always listed as a
Wellesley station, with a transmitter in Needham.  I can find what power
it had back then -- just need to dig out my old Variety or Broadcasting
Yearbook.

Dan wrote--
> [Donna] would have to have been born no later
> than 1941 to have caught the program when it aired on 920. That would
> make her 70 now.

Never said I listened to the old WBSO, whether in Wellesley/Needham or
when it moved into Boston circa 1939.  But I did say that some of the
personalities who were on the original WORL stuck around the Boston
market; and I do recall hearing them in the 1950s.  I was born in 1947
and used to listen with my parents to the old WHDH (they loved Fred B.
Cole, Ken & Bill, and Bob Clayton).  But some of the folks I mentioned
from the new 1950 version of WORL absolutely were around when I was
growing up.