1430 was Kiss 108-Rex Sox baseball

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Thu Jul 21 20:51:17 EDT 2011

In its heyday, WHIL was a very professional sounding little station.
The format was what was called MOR back in the day. The morning guy
did voices. (IIRC, his last name was Walsh--Bob Walsh, maybe.)  He was
kind of a low-budget Jess Cain. VERY talented, but his talent was
never really recognized. I think George Fennell did PM drive.

Interesting about the race results. I can believe that WHIL ran them,
but I don't remember them. It's quite amusing, though, that the first
station I can remember than ran race results all day was also on
1430--but in New York, not Boston. The station was WBYN Brooklyn. WBYN
lost its license for broadcasting the race results. After a couple of
years of there being no station on 1430 in the New York market, WBYN's
replacement emerged. It was the Newark News's WNJR, Newark (NJ). After
many decades of different owners, different formats, and different
calls, the station became Arthur Liu's leased-ethnic WNSW. And after
being a signal that didn't reach a lot of the market for all those
years, WNSW lost its two-tower site in Union. (This was the second
site that the station had occupied since signing on; both sites were
in Union.) Liu has now moved WNSW to the four-tower Clifton site of
co-owned WPAT 930 (Paterson)--much further north than Union. From
those four rather tall, self-supporting, top-loaded towers, WNSW
probably gets out quite well. It now runs 10 kW-D/7 kW-N--enough to be
called a (mostly) full-market signal.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367