Could News Corp lose right to broadcast in the US

Laurence Glavin lglavin@mail.com
Thu Jul 21 13:31:22 EDT 2011

 From the earliest days that I observed the media in my youth and learned a smidgen about the technical aspects of radio, I became
 amazed that GIANT CBS owned and operated a 5,000-watt directional AM anywhere. Most chains of radio stations by the established networks and
 major players like what was then Westingouse seemed to have specialized in lower-case 'c' clear channel outlets or regional blowtorches. When I
 also became aware of the limits on the number of O&Os, it occurred to me that by CBS owning WEEI, they couldn't own a more powerful
 station elsewhere. And going back to the early days of TV, if Mr. Paley was interested in putting a VHF station on-the-air in Boston,
 probable a WEEI-TV, it was well before the "VHF freeze"; couldn't channel 2 have been assigned to Boston? I know channel 5 was
 originally assigned to Worcester, but by the mid-50s, that was over. Can you imagine a WGBH-TV channel 5?