Spring Cume numbers are stunning

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Sun Jul 17 03:49:18 EDT 2011

>Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 08:09:23 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Howard Glazer <hmglaz@att.net>
>To: Boston Radio <boston-radio-interest@lists.bostonradio.org>
>Subject: Re: Spring Cume numbers are stunning
>
>While you weren't looking, country music went national
>-- and mainstream. I can certainly believe WKLB's PPM
>numbers in Boston, because WKLB is playing artists like
>Taylor Swift and Rascal Flatts who also get saturation
>exposure on AC radio stations. Country is also growing
>in its appeal to younger demographics nationally, and
>has been for years, while retaining a decent percentage
>of its older listeners, largely through making sure that
>old-timers like George Strait and Reba McEntire remain
>relevant to radio.

What you're saying is all true, but you're missing one
key point, at least in my perception, of WKLB's success.
WKLB is the first country station in the Boston market
that seems to skew significantly toward female listeners!

The older, former country stations in Boston that failed
tried to market toward the traditional stereotype of the
male country listener, a profile that may be much more
prevalent in other areas of the USA, and in rural areas.
They aren't in the Boston area in significant numbers.

But, WKLB realized that there is now a significant female
audience who enjoy contemporary country music, and it has
done a great job of catering to them with a much more
female-oriented presentation (somewhat like a "Hot AC"
station, but with twangier music and many female DJ's)
than the past country stations in Boston.

EP