Kiss 108

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Thu Jul 14 13:20:18 EDT 2011

On 7/21/2011 11:48 AM, Paul Hopfgarten wrote:
> While I can't speak from a ratings perspective, I was a frequent
> listener to the "Electronic Mama" back in the day. I listened
> frequently to 105.7 (and also to WBZ-FM 106.7....I liked the
> commercial-free pop...does that make me a bad audiophile?)

When I came back to Boston in 1979, I loved WBZ-FM.  Okay, it frequently
had problems with its automation, and it had a very limited playlist,
but it played some album cuts that other stations weren't playing, and I
really enjoyed its musical choices-- I learned later that the music
director was Jim (later Ed) McMahon, who ended up at Kiss 108, I
believe.  I'm looking at some older WBZ-FM surveys:  in 1971-1974, they
seemed to mainly be a top-40; one survey says "All Hits All the Time."
But by the late 1970s, the surveys say "Rockin' Stereo," and that fits
with what I recall from 1979-- a mix of rock/top 40 and some album tracks.