Media cross-ownership ban restored

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@mail.com
Sat Jul 9 08:59:46 EDT 2011

http://articles.boston.com/2011-07-08/business/29752710_1_cross-ownership-media-ownership-rules-fcc

 A ban on media cross ownership (newspapers and TV stations under common ownership in same market) has been restored, despite some holding views that there is more than enough diversity of ownership and views. In some cases owners are grandfathered in (Chicago: Tribune, WGN). You may recall in 1994, Rupert Murdoch was forced to sell The Boston Herald (to his employee Patrick Purcell) since he couldn't own both that and WFXT-Ch 25. I remember Ted Kennedy (prob. no fan of the tabloid) calling in to the Jerry Williams show about it.

 >>The decision is a setback for media conglomerates, which argue that consumers have more sources of information than ever in an age of 24-hour cable television and an endless supply of online news outlets

 Is there enough media ownership diversity out there? I will note that the rule affects newspapers and
 TV stations, not radio (example: Boston Phoenix owning WFNX). I wasn't sure if radio was affected in the past.