Fw: as the sun sets in St John's, Newfoundland

Bill Smith brscomm@yahoo.com
Mon Jul 4 12:36:43 EDT 2011

The toll is based on what the ferry would have charged. It was $31 when the
bridge opened and somewhere I have a T-shirt from the opening.

Bill

________________________________
From: "Jibguy@aol.com" <Jibguy@aol.com>
To: kvahey@gmail.com; dan.strassberg@att.net; paul@derrynh.net;
jjlehmann@comcast.net; revdoug1@myfairpoint.net
Cc: bri@bostonradio.org
Sent: Mon, July 4, 2011 11:11:02 AM
Subject: Re: as the sun sets in St John's, Newfoundland

In a message dated 7/4/2011 8:23:02 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
kvahey@gmail.com writes:

how can  they justify a toll of $43.25 for the bridge to PEI? It is 8 miles
long but  that toll charge is insane

They probably collect that $43 for round trip.... and the distance, I
thought, was 14 miles. So it makes sense.
Now for RADIO...... Incredibly fat tower (guyed) when CHSJ was on 1150, and
with a monster signal. Tower was in an industrial area of St John NB, near
auto  salvage yards, cheap hotels, etc. When they moved to 700, they had a
huge array  of 4 to 6 towers (can't remember the #) on the last sizable
and-semi-bare hill  before going into the city (St John) from the south.
Couldn't miss those towers.  Apparently Canadians had not learned yet to become
NIMBYS.  Also upgraded  was PEI's CHTN from 1190 to 720, the latter audible
around the shorelines north  and south of Boston.  Both stations spent a ton of
money upgrading, only to  go to FM 15 years later.
---BB