as the sun sets in St John's, Newfoundland

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Mon Jul 4 13:23:23 EDT 2011

I don't think CHSJ ever got beyond three towers--and maybe only two.
At least that's what AMSTNS tells me. IIRC, the six-tower setup was
CBD on 1110. It apparently had to protect the US border because I
believe WBT's 0.5 mV/m 50% skywave contour cuts into Canada. I believe
the six-tower array was really short-lived; CBD had barely gotten
settled on 1110 when it moved to FM. Don't know what frequency it was
on before 1110.

The problem with this CBD speculation is that AMSTNS won't confirm it.
It shows a station on 1110 in St John (10 kW-U DA-2) with two towers
days and three nights (no calls assigned--all such Canadian stations
are called "NEW"). And, of course, three towers seems to be all that
ought to be needed to adequately protect the US/Canada border from 10
kW in St John NB. But then, the minimum toward the US is so deep that
you know right off that the array was never built; it was all just on
paper. Still, I don't see that six towers would have been necessary.
Six towers would produce a nice teardrop, but there was no need for a
teardrop; the pattern shown--a modified cardioid--would do the job;
there is nothing to the north to protect, so no reason for a narrow
tear-drop pattern.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367