Changes to LPFM rules

Dave Doherty dave@skywaves.net
Sat Jan 8 13:09:01 EST 2011

Hi Richard -

Yes, but...

The law provides for elimination of third adjacent distance separation
requirements to full power stations, except those carrying radio reading
services. AFAIK, no official list of such stations exists, so that will have
to be compiled.

It also states that the FCC "may" provide second-adjacent interference-based
waivers similar to those now available to translators.

Exactly how many new LPFMs will be possible will, of course, depend on the
FCC's final rules. There will need to be a formal Rulemaking Proceeding, and
only after that will we know the details.

Dropping the third adjacent requirement opens up no channels in Boston or
anywhere within about 50km of downtown.

Allowing for second-adjacent waivers still opens up no channels in Boston,
but there may be a number of opportunities nearby. Each will have to be
studied for interference on whatever basis the new rules will provide for.

If you have a particular area of interest, contact me off-list, and I'll
have a look.

-d