LPFM in Ellsworth/Deer Isle area?

Doug Drown revdoug1@myfairpoint.net
Sat Jan 8 08:00:37 EST 2011

While we're talking about WRMO, I'm curious about something: I live near Blue Hill, and for the past six months or so there has been a local station broadcasting on an occasional basis on 91.3.   The format is Christian --- preaching by Alastair Begg, James Dobson, the same people heard on many of the Salem and Blount stations.  When this signal comes in, it's loud, clear, and --- it would seem --- very nearby.  But it's only spasmodic.  The terrain is such around here that normally on 91.3 I pull in WMEW from Waterville on one side of town and the CBC from Saint John on the other.  This new station, when it's on, drowns both out.  Its range, however, is limited --- I can't get it in Ellsworth.

Strange.  Could this be a pirate?  A station from elsewhere that I'm picking up only under certain weather conditions?  I'm three miles from the ocean.    -Doug