Fybush: Willcox selling WNSH to Costa-Eagle

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Tue Jan 4 18:48:33 EST 2011

Gary's Ice Cream wrote:

> The pirate is STILL on the air in Lowell - with a dead carrier (and has
> been
> a dead carrier for over 3 years).  The studio and antenna/tower is located
> on Back Central Street.  There is even a sign in the front of the building
> advertising that this is the home of WKNE 1570.  The callsign is currently
> licensed to a Keene NH FM station but the AM version used to be active in
> Georgia (but no longer is).

  The calls on the sign outside the home of the 1570 Lowell pirate are WKNM.
And yes the carrier is still on, with no audio, the antenna on top of the
tower is leaning at about a 45 to 60 degree angle. As far as I know, the
building is still occupied.

  Speaking of pirates in Lowell, there's one at 98.9, doing Spanish religion
& music. It's been on the air for at least the last 5 or 6 months, maybe
longer. I believe the transmitter is in the area of School St. & Broadway,
based on my observations driving through the area, the signal is strongest
there. It is listenable up to a mile to mile & a half away. One of the few
times I was tuned in trying to pinpoint where the signal was coming from I
recognized the program on the air from 2 gentlemen who used to buy the 10 to
Midnight slot a couple of times a week on WCAP when Maurice Cohen still
owned the station, it was preaching in Spanish by one of the hosts, the
other translated into English.

Mark Watson