[B-R-I] UnID Ch.s 60-61?

Ed Hennessy ehennessy@verizon.net
Mon Feb 21 10:33:46 EST 2011

Those channels span 746-758 MHz.  This is a new public safety radio
allocation that the FCC is beginning to assign.  It's for trunked radio
systems with narrow deviation (6.25 kHz) and digital modulation.  I was not
aware of any licenses (permanent or experimental) in this band in New
England, but they are definitely coming on line elsewhere.  I suspect one of
these systems is what you were hearing.

This is one of the results of the digital TV switchover; it's one of the
uses for those 'out of core allocations' now that analog sunset has passed.

Ed Hennessy
N1PBA

-----Original Message-----
From: Kaimbridge M. GoldChild
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2011 9:28 AM
To: Boston Radio Interest
Subject: [B-R-I] UnID Ch.s 60-61?

For the past few months I've noted a strange signal/static on Ch.s
60-61.  I figured it may be just some local interference, but the
other day I was up at the donation/thrift shop at Endicott Plaza in
Danvers and there was a couple of working, portable, analog TVs, so I
checked and——sure enough——Ch.s 60-61 had the same signal.
Could this be "Broadband over Power Lines" or some other "white space
spectrum" signal testing (it doesn't look like "MediaFLO" on Ch.55)?

      ~Kaimbridge~

-----
      Wikipedia—Contributor Home Page:

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Kaimbridge