G'day Donna

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Wed Feb 16 11:06:45 EST 2011

At 10:55 AM 2/16/2011, billohno@gmail.com wrote:
>Happy Birthday, Donna. Many more to you and all the best to your
>health and happiness this year ahead for you.  Thanks for your
>dedication to keeping the history patent in this industry which one
>could suggest is second only to fish-stories of the sea! (I don't
>exclude myself from that criticism!)

But I try to not only keep media history alive.  I try to find the
unsung heroes and heroines of the industry.  I found one of the
earliest black announcers in Boston, for example, Eddie Petty (he
first broadcast on the old WVOM, the Voice of Massachusetts, in 1948)
and he's mentioned in the book, as is another black announcer of that
era, jazz pianist and WILD disc jockey Sabby Lewis.  And of course,
I've tried to keep alive the memory of one of the USA's first
stations, little 1XE/WGI, which gave the world so many talented
performers-- Big Brother Bob Emery, bandleader Joe Rines, vocal duo
Hum & Strum, and many others who gained national fame in the 30s and
40s started out in Medford Hillside.