WCAP partners take station battle to court

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Tue Feb 8 17:19:06 EST 2011

Ted Larsen wrote:

>A clash over who runs WCAP radio has its primary partners >heading to
>court.

>The station's general manager and majority owner, Clark >Smidt, has filed a
>lawsuit in Lowell Superior Court against >shareholder Sam Poulten, alleging
>that Poulten has placed >the station in financial peril.

   This afternoon the Lowell Sun reporting on it's website that Sam Poluten
has filed suit against Clark Smidt, alleging he put the station in financial
peril:

http://www.lowellsun.com/ci_17330200

  Echoing Bill O' Neill opinion it also pains me to see this dispute ending
up in the public eye. I hope that it can be settled out of court and when
all is resolved WCAP remains locally owned, programmed and focussed. I also
hope news of this dispute doesn't steer advertisers away from the station.

  Disclaimer: I had done some work for WCAP under Maurice Cohen's ownership,
and I have met Clark & Sam in passing a few times since they took over
ownership of WCAP, most recently when I made a brief appearance in studio
during the Salvation Army radiothon back in December.

Mark Watson