a question about unreliable old technology

Don Donald_Astelle@yahoo.com
Tue Dec 27 12:24:04 EST 2011

> My Canadian friend Art, who is writing a book with a backdrop in late
> 1940s or early 1950s broadcasting, asked this of me, and since technology
> is not my strong suit, I thought I'd ask you nice folks.  I'll pass along
> your replies to him.  He was reading some old articles about technical
> failures in TV equipment:  "Everyone who was working in TV at the time
> recalls how temperamental and unreliable the electronics were, but exactly
> how temperamental and unreliable is not spelled out.  So I am trying to
> find comprehensive and detailed information about the extent of it:  what
> were the most common component failures that would lead to loss of service
> (not necessarily loss of the signal altogether, which was quite rare.)
> Essentially anything that led to the "We Are Experiencing Technical
> Difficulties" slide appearing fits the definition, with the exception of
> component failure from external causes:  a burst water main that shorted
> out the electronics, or a lightning bolt that fried the transmitter don't
> count.  What were the most common components to fail, how long on average
> would it take to fix them, and what percentage of the broadcast hours
> would the average station expect to lose over the course of a month?"  Any
> guidance you can offer will be appreciated!

I realize I am not answering your question, but when I think of old
broadcast failure events, one of the things that changed is the
proliferation of  backup systems...and redundancies bult into the todays
broadcast facilities.

I think management has come to their senses as to how important, backup
programming, backup switchers, backup transmitters, backup sites are.

I haven't heard anyone in a long time respond to a bad rating book by saying
"remember, we were only on half-power for 10 days during the book!"  ;-)

Again, not answering your question Donna, just offering some thoughts...