Globe writer says it is time for Gil Santos and Gino Cappelletti to retire.

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Fri Dec 23 13:10:34 EST 2011

On 12/23/2011 12:19 PM, Kevin Vahey wrote:
> Still it isn't as bad as when WHDH hired Curt Gowdy who if memory serves
> was replaced by Dale Arnold after just a few games.

It's a brutal business, as we all know.  I am reticent to say anything
bad about Gil or Gino, two very good human beings, even though I do
agree that at times, they are increasingly making more verbal stumbles.
I am also reticent to just say "fire them" because they are a wealth of
institutional memory and experience.  But that said, there comes a time
when a change is needed, when the veteran callers could benefit from
some new perspectives.  This may be a good time to make such a move.  My
problem is when a station sweeps out all the vets and replaces them with
young announcers who are not ready to do the quality job the vets did
(but who work cheaper).  I don't think WBZ/Sports Hub will make that
mistake.  If they replace these two guys, I am sure the replacement will
be either a big name or an experienced voice.  And there was a time when
all of these guys were the new kid and people wondered who they were and
whether they'd be successful.  As I recall, Curt Gowdy gave Ned Martin a
chance after Ned had only been doing play by play of minor league ball
for a couple of years.