HD subchannels

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sat Aug 20 01:04:35 EDT 2011

On 8/19/2011 9:02 AM, Jim Hall wrote:
> You would think stations would be proud to identify themselves. I remember
> when WVBF used to make a big deal of it with the call letters alternating
> from one stereo channel to the other, followed by "Framingham" from the left
> and "Boston" from the right. The most annoying station ID to me is the two
> whispering females on WTKK. The word "Boston" is nearly unintelligible.
> Given some of their programming...maybe they ARE embarrassed to give their
> call letters...hahaha
>
> "the FCC has not enforced the legal ID rule as written in many years."

Reminds me of the story, possibly apocryphal, about a San Francisco
radio station which wanted to be WKRP in San Francisco (back when the
sitcom WKRP in Cincinnati" was popular).  Of course, they couldn't get a
W callsign in California, so they chose KRPN.  And for their legal ID,
they said, "This is W KRPN San Francisco."

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                     617.367.0468
92 State Street, Suite 700          Fax: 617.507.7856