More sports on FM: WIP(AM) to simulcast on 94.1

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Fri Aug 19 18:25:50 EDT 2011

Without question, WIP (AM) has the best signal of any 5 kW-U AM in the
Philadelphia market. By day, the coverage is very similar to KYW's,
except, instead of WEPN, KYW's New York-market 50-kW first adjacent,
which has a fairly broad pattern, WIP's New York-market first adjacent
is super-directional 3-kW (D; 7.6 kW-N) WSNR, whose teardrop patterns
aimed east-southeast don't even produce a listenable signal north of
34th St. A Philly AM that used to be 5 kW-U (WPEN) has upgraded to
almost 50 kW-D and 21 kW-N, yet in Philly, the radio geeks don't give
it credit for having a signal anywhere near as good as WIP's. Of
Philly's 5-kW AMs, only Salem's WFIL comes close to matching WIP and
it doesn't really do that because of nighttime directional-pattern
differences.

By night, of course, WIP does not have secondary skywave coverage,
whereas KYW does. But if you don't count the folks in Ohio, western
New York, and southern Ontario, who can hear KYW clear as a bell at
night, WIP's coverage is just as good as that of 50 kW-U KYW.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367