HD subchannels

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Fri Aug 19 08:46:10 EDT 2011

"the FCC has not enforced the legal ID rule as written in many years."

I'll admit it's not at the top of the Enforcement Bureau's hit list, but to say it's not enforced is wrong.  One of my company's stations got nabbed violating that rule a few years back, and every time we have an MBA-sponsored ABIP inspection, legal ID times are checked.

It's far more important to the FCC to find a folder that belonged in the public file in the wrong file drawer.  No, I'm not kidding; the FCC's Notice of Violation on this one reads:  "During the inspection conducted on June 15, 2011, the Political File for the 2010 general election was not located with the public inspection file, it was misplaced in a separate drawer by the licensee."  (Ref.:  http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2003/DOC-308430A1.html)

OTOH, most other countries seem to get by just fine without required station IDs at a set time in a certain format.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
20 Guest St / 3d Floor
Brighton MA  02135-2040